Saturday 25 April 2009

Grow Your Own

I've decided to grow my own veg in my garden. After registering for an allotment and being told I was on a waiting list of 350 I figured that I'd be waiting a long time for a plot. I don't have much planting area but after I was bought a book on growing veg and fruit in containers, I was inspired to have a go. Here's what I did planted last weekend:
  • 2 blueberry trees in the sunniest area
  • 1 rhubarb plant and 1 mint plant in the most shaded area
  • 4 strawberry plants in 1 balcony box
  • 1 rocket plant and lots of lettuce seeds in the other balcony box
  • 1 container with broccoli
  • 1 container with peas, broad beans and mini sweetcorn
  • 1 canvas container with leeks and the other half will have carrots. I've just planted some seeds in a seedling tray so hopefully I can plant them up when (if!) they start to grow
  • 1 canvas container with beetroot and spring onion seeds

I also have lots of small pots on my window sill containing rosemary, mini sweetcorn, cress, basil and tomato seeds. The last 3 are grown from seeds and they are already sprouting! The tomatos will be transferred to a hanging basket once they have grown substantially. The only problem, I didn't label the basil pot and the tomato pot so I'm not sure which is which but hopefully I'll be able to figure that out soon!

Already the mini sweetcorn in the container is looking as if it is a no go-er but everything else seems good so far. I'll keep you updated on how it's going but hopefully I'll save some money from wasted supermarket veg and even better, have some tasty food to harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment